Get the facts with the latest National Statistics
The size, scope and impact of the U.S. restaurant industry
Restaurant Industry Facts at a Glance
- 2023 Sales Forecast: $997 billion
- 2023 Employment Forecast: 500,000 new jobs for total foodservice employment of 15.5 million
- 9 in 10 restaurants have fewer than 50 employees
- 7 in 10 restaurants are single-unit operations
- 8 in 10 restaurant owners started their industry careers in entry-level positions
- 9 in 10 restaurant managers started in entry-level positions
- 63% of adults have worked in the restaurant industry, making it the nation’s training ground
- Restaurants employ more minority managers than any other industry
- 41% of restaurant firms are owned by minorities – compared to 30% of businesses in the overall private sector.
- Waitstaff at fullservice restaurants earn a median of $27.00 an hour, with an upper quartile of $41.50 and a lower quartile of $19.00.
Restaurant Owner Demographics
Based on data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Annual Business Survey and Nonemployer Statistics by Demographics programs, this National Restaurant Association Data Brief contains an overview of restaurant owner demographics on the national and state levels.
Restaurant Employee Demographics
Based on data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, this National Restaurant Association Data Brief contains an overview of restaurant employee demographics.
Tipped Employee ResearchBased on National Restaurant Association research, this data brief contains 2022 data on hourly earnings of fullservice waitstaff.